Monday 30 April 2012

Dinner's On The Table



After seven months in Preston and only three bird species in the garden I'm trying a new tactic. I've bought a new bird feeder which will hopefully get the sparrows to stay in the garden for longer and encourage other birds in. 

Having noticed that the sparrows enjoy hopping around on the concrete floor of our yard I decided to go for a bird table, but lacking space I was pleased to find this hanging one at the RSPB Ribble Discovery Centre in Lytham. I'm hoping my sparrows will enjoy their new toy and I'll get to see more wildlife outside my window!




4 comments:

  1. I am sure you know that lots of us would love to have sparrows in our gardens. The one thing that all birds love is some supply of water for bathing as well as drinking. Hope the table increases your species count

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twintal- I do! But people are regularly surprised when I talk about the decline in sparrow numbers. Also, thanks for mentioning water! What a great idea, I really should have thought of that myself. I've heard an upturned bin lid works wonders so I'll keep my eye out for something to recycle into a water bath.

      Delete
  2. Swap you 1 of your sparrows for 5 of our goldfinches

    Cheers

    Davo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davo- Deal! I'd love some goldfinches. I've seen them around out street but never in the garden, maybe I will now. I'll tell the sparrows one of them needs to head your way if you send some finches mine!

      Delete